Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Worthy

For some reason, I've taken to writing my thoughts on the Bible passages here on this blog - analyzing them as I did Dante's Inferno and Purgatorio. The only difference is, the Bible is the word of God and there really is just one answer for each passage. But, I took the tools I got from interpreting the first to canticles and using them to somehow understand God's love letter to humanity.

"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ."
- Phil. 3:7 (NIV)

I don't know much about Paul, but I know that when he converted to Christianity, he had a lot to lose. He'd already made a name for himself. His fame - or notoriety - was in line. I mean, after persecuting all those churches, to suddenly becoming one of Christ's best warriors. That change of heart, I would assume, put his judgement into question. But knowing what's at stake and what's really important, I guess Paul didn't really give much thought to that anymore.

As for us, it's a matter of setting our priorities correctly and knowing that whatever losses we may have here on earth are in no comparison to the eternal gain we will have in heaven. Colossians 3:2 says, Set your minds on things above and not on earthly things. It's hard, especially since we're all very much susceptible to distractions and temptations. But it really is just a matter of remembering who our God is and just how much he's done for all of us. Having the knowledge that we do now of our God, everything we do hereafter should be a reaction or a response to his love. A reflection of how glorious he really is. 

And the best response would be to spread his good news, to be missionaries in our own little way. We know the options, the consequences - they don't. We should take it upon ourselves to do so, to set our goals on the things that Christ intended for us.

This is our response.

No comments:

Post a Comment