Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hate on Me Haters

(Just to clear things up, no, no one hates me... I think)

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first."
John 15:18

I'm not really sure what made me to go search the Bible for verses on persecution. I suppose it's the Holy Spirit nudging me about it after someone I know shared their troubles with me. And ok, granted, not my best moment. After he told me about them, I couldn't say anything to him that he hasn't already heard from his mentor or from other people. I suppose, it was an opportunity to share to him, but I don't know. Maybe I didn't see it right away, but back when he was telling me all about how he'd get bullied by some of our batch mates, I didn't know what to tell him exactly. And it sucks since I've been in that situation too before. Somehow, college seems to be a lot like high school. There maybe those who think that college kids are more mature, but that's not really the case. Sometimes, people who take pleasure in harassing others just exist. 

Even though the connection between his bullying and a Christian's persecution isn't really there, somehow, this is what I remembered. No matter what we say or do, there would be some people who would find fault in us, needing to as though their lives depended on it. Although Jesus talks about following in His footsteps in this passage, I just though that whether or not someone's a Christian, they would still be bullied - whether it be through words or through actions. I suppose, what sets us apart as Christians is what we plan and choose to do about it afterwards. 

It's something to think of as well. What would I do if the time comes that I'd be judged and persecuted for my faith? I know deep in my heart what I should do, but there's the fear that my instinct or my fear might cause me to act another way. I suppose this is something to be truly reflected on.

Although I'm disappointed in myself for not taking the chance to share (it would have been good too, seems like he really needed the encouragement), I'm just hoping that I'd be more alert and aware the next the opportunity presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment