Monday, January 3, 2011

Did It Hurt

"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head and you will strike his heel." Gen. 3:15

[Before anything else, proper greetings are in order. To those, or to the one who reads my blog, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU :)]

I think I've always wondered if God was hurt when Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the tree of good and evil. Did it hurt Him when the two people He created out of the tremendous love that He has disobeyed Him? Is that how parents feel when they tell us not to do something yet we do anyway? I guess, I just can't help but think how heartbreaking it must have been for God to banish His own creations, when His children chose to be separated from Him the moment they ate the fruit. 

And I mean, God could have chosen to intervene, prevented the serpent from even having contact with Eve. Yet He chose not to. I don't think God was masochistic in his decision of letting things unfold naturally. After all, the fall of man was necessary so that Salvation could happen. So that God's great love for His people would be greatly manifested. 

Granted, things have changed - A LOT - since the banishment of man from the garden. For one thing, we need clothes now, we get tired, we get sick and we experience pain. When I read verse 16, I thought, this is the reason why there are women out there who are scared of getting pregnant: childbirth pains. But for some reason, I don't know what hit me, and immediately after thinking that, I thought that the pains of delivering a child into this world is nothing compared to the amount of love that they will give back. 

And speaking of children and parents, why is it that in chapter 4 of Genesis, there wasn't an account of whether Adam and Eve knew that Cain killed Abel and what they had felt. Actually, correct me if I'm wrong please, there wasn't much said about Adam and Eve's parenting. For sure we know that they were parents, but we don't really know what kind. And I suppose it just makes me wonder if being parents made them understand in some way what God must have felt when they disobeyed him (did they grieve for Abel, did they mourn for Cain's sin?) 

I suppose one big thing that I got out of these three chapters is that, parents may not always be the most popular people in a kid's life but they're the ones who will love their children the most.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think the fall of man was necessary for mankind to fully experience God's great love for him; his existence and creation already purport His intense love for us. If this was the case, then it would appear that God is just some insane writer who included the fall of man in His storyline to spice up His plot.

    It's all about love. God, in all His power, could've simply stopped this disaster from taking place, but He didn't. It was because His relationship with man dwelt on love. Free will was gifted to man upon creation; man was given the liberty to obey or disobey God. Controlling is beyond the boundaries of love; forced love is unreal love. Therefore, if God halted man's sinful actions from occurring, it would violate the very rule of love. The focus is not really on God's choice - it should be on man's.

    Just my two cents worth. :-)

    ReplyDelete