Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lunch Date with the Doctor

Today, Mae and I had lunch with Dr. Dumol and Fr. Soria. 

And alright, some of you may think "Big deal. Students eat with their professors all the time." All I could say to those who think that is, if you would just sit in one of his class, listen to his lecture for at least half an hour, you'd know what I'm talking about. That I even got an invitation from him is already a great privilege for me. 

It was one of the most exciting, awesome and nerve wracking experience for me. I was quite the intimidated ball of nerves. 

It was surreal I suppose; to have been literally a seat away from where he was sitting and eating. He and Fr. Soria encouraged Mae and I to ask questions - questions about the curriculum, the Divine Comedy or even how they could improve the class. It was evident that despite the amount of prestige that he may have, he is first and foremost still and educator. That despite having such a brilliant literary mind there is in him a concern for his students' learning that may only be found in a respectable teacher.

It was also very refreshing to see him relaxed - well, more at ease than he is when he lectures. 

He enjoys the questions, and the only regret I have now is that I don't think I took advantage of that time very well. It may seem tacky, but looking back, I think I should have written all the questions I had in mind down. Or that I had thought of more than a few questions at all. Then all of a sudden, when the time's up, all the questions you should have asked suddenly start popping into your head? Yeah. I had that, and I'm peeved I didn't think of them earlier. 

Now that I think about it, I imagine Jesus to be the same way. I mean, he is a teacher and being God, he knew literally everything. I think, if I lived during His time, I'd probably act in the same way I did around Dr. Dumol and Fr. Soria - like a bumbling idiot. It would be amazing to be in His presence, but intimidating at the same time.The kind of awestruck and starstruck feeling you have in the midst of someone so majestic. There. That's how I felt when I was in Dr. Dumol's company. I mean of course, I'd be more amazed and I'd probably be forever rendered speechless and blinded by just being next to God. 

"A student is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. It is enough for a student to be like his teacher and a servant like his master." - Matthew 10:24-25 (NIV)

I want to be intelligent like Dr. Dumol and wise like Christ. I want to be like Jesus. I really do. 

But in any case Lord, thank you so much for this day. I learned a lot and was very much enlightened. Please make me smart and wise like Your Son. Thank You. :") In Christ's name, Amen.

2 comments: